Friday 22 February 2013

Talia Carmichael's Casting Couch Interview




How did you get started in writing? What made you decide to submit your first story and what was your experience with that? Who was the first person you told when you got your first contract? What was their reaction?

I started writing from my love of reading. I love to read and always imagine after I finish a book about what other characters in the book I liked story would be like. In my head, I would make up their stories eventually, the ideas changed to my own characters and stories. I didn’t write it down these ideas but they keep filling my thoughts. It wasn’t until I was inspired by something that happened that I sat down and wrote what was in my thoughts.

Once I wrote the story I just decided to submit. I didn't expect it to be accepted but it was. I screamed to loud my neighbour's called to see if I was okay. LOL. The first person I told was my oldest sister. There wasn't any doubt in my mind I would tell her. Since my mom passed away a few years ago my older sister is the first person who I go too when there are important milestones in my life. I wasn't sure how she would react since the genre (m/m) wasn't something she read or even knew about. But she was so supportive and just happy I got my book contracted. Also since that time she's become an avid reader of m/m books. For my books she is one of the first who reads a completed manuscript. She is always asking me who is next and wanting more. I think I've created a m/m reading monster. LOL. And I love that she has embraced the genre so much and is reading so many authors books. Heck she reads faster than I do and is always asking me about which book is next from other authors too. LOL.   


Where does your inspiration come from for your books?

They come from all over. I'm a people watcher. :) I enjoy making up stories for people I see. I can just be walking down the street and there is someone ahead of me and I will be writing a story in my head about them. Not all of the stories make it to an actual stories but I have used parts of them for scene's in my books. So inspiration can come from something as simple as a person I see to maybe something I or someone I know experienced. My friends laugh at me when they see what they call my "writing in her head look" since they know the ideas a churning in my mind.LOL.


How do you make the important choices when it comes to writing your stories? Point of View? Voice? Theme? Title?

Ummm...it comes to me by... I really have no idea. I see the stories in my head like a movie and then I put it on paper so the decision of voice, theme and POV comes from the characters. As for titles, I choose them based on what the story is about or flows with. So basically I think it come from the characters shaping their story including the title and how it is told.


Are your characters purely fictional, or do you sample from people you’ve met in real life? Which one of your characters is most like you? How so?

They aren't purely fictional. Many are based in part on friends, people I know, met or as mentioned from my people watching. The one that is most like me...I have no idea. There are pieces of me in all of them. I put some of my quirks, movie or TV tastes, things that have happened to me, and so many other things. LOL.


What do you consider your greatest accomplishment as a writer?
Being able to write a book that touches a reader in some way. Striking emotions with a reader is one of the best accomplishments as a writer that I've experienced. It is humbling to know how my words can affect someone.


If you could co-author a book with any other writer, who would it be?
Oh my there are so many names I could list. Way to many for me to even try to say.


What is the one book that you think that very few people have read but everyone should read? What are you reading right now?
My mind totally went blank on a book people should read. I've read so many great books I have no idea what to name. I just bought a huge amount of books so I'm figuring out what to read first. So much wonderful books to read. 


What do you find the most difficult part of the writing process?
Letting go. I tend to want to keep fixing or adding scenes to a book and I've had to learn to let go a story when it is finished.


What is a typical working day like for you? Where do you write? Do you wait for inspiration? Do you set certain writing goals? Are there any specific tools you use to help you write?
I tend to write a certain word count on a daily basis. I meet that word count every day or exceed it before I'm finished for the day. I have an office where I write. I also have a favorite chair in my living room where I write too. I do have writing goals that I want to accomplish and I work towards them. Hmmm...tools I use when I write. I'm not sure if it is considered a tool but I listen to music when I write. I have various playlists I use based on where I am in a book. I use them to set the tone so I get into the right frame of mind when I am writing. Sexy music when characters are flirting or loving. Hard pounding music when they are fighting or in a moment that is pivotal to story. Then that make up music and so on and so on.   


What is your greatest guilty pleasure (literary or otherwise)?
I'm an avid reader. I love movies, TV and music. Also if there is a new movie on for Syfy Saturday you'll find me watching. LOL.


And…last but not least: What are you working on now and what can we expect to see from you in the coming year?
Currently I am writing more books in my various series. There are many stories I have planned for all my series. In Apr/May 2013, Magnetism the next book in my Something in Common series will be released by Dreamspinner Press.
Here is an excerpt from one of my books:
 
No Commitment Necessary
By Talia Carmichael
Dreamspinner Press
Release. Date: December 2012
ISBN: 978-1-62380-261-5
Genre: Contemporary
Series: Encounters- Book 2
Format: E-Book
Buy Here


The startled look on Kevin’s face was funny. Nate chuckled and focused on his sandwich and coffee. Soon he was finished and crushed the foil before closing the lid on the thermos. He handed the thermos to Kevin but held it as he took it.
“I don’t ever ask a question I don’t want the answer to.” Nate moved his head closer. “And you should be careful who you choose to study so much you know their favorite lunch meat.” He released the thermos.
Kevin took it and set it on his other side. “I know what Vic likes too. That doesn’t mean anything.” Kevin licked his lips.
“Maybe not.” Nate softened his voice. “But in my case I highly doubt that.”
“What do you want from me, Nate?”
Kevin’s voice had deepened, and Nate’s cock hardened. Kevin licked his lips again, and this time Nate couldn’t stop himself. He leaned in and followed the tongue with his own. Kevin jerked and moaned, the sensation vibrating against Nate’s tongue.
What are you doing? This is a bad idea. The thought didn’t stop him from following the sound, moving his tongue along the plump skin of Kevin’s lips.
“Let me in,” he growled.
Kevin opened, moving closer. Nate took his offering, kissing him hungrily. Kevin met him with his own tongue, and they fought for dominance of the kiss. Nate grunted as Kevin gave in and relaxed into the kiss, opening more.
Copyright © Talia Carmichael, 2012.
All Rights Reserved.

Buy Here

 Bio:  Talia Carmichael is a romantic who believes that family, no matter if it is by blood or those you choose as family, is integral to who you are. She is an author who writes sexy stories in a variety of genres. She believes in creating stories that encompass all that falling in love or lust entails, from the highs of that first blush of attraction to the lows of not knowing if you can make your coming together as a couple work, and then finally to the acceptance of the reality of making a life together. It's all about the journey.

Talia is a multi-published author with books available at Dreamspinner Press and Total-E-Bound. Among her books you'll find contemporary, futuristic, fantasy, and paranormal settings with M/M themes that will have a happily-ever-after. Her books are passionate, intense, and real… to fill the craving.

Places to find Talia:


No comments:

Post a Comment